Category Archives: History, HERstories, and Myths
Stories, both fact and myth, about Ontario.
This documentary covers the same territory as the Longwoods Barn Quilt Trail: the social history of the War of 1812 – 1814.
As the title suggests, A Desert Between Us and Them is about the people involved on the ground in the two-year war between the U.S. and Canada, either as combatants or as collateral damage. There is no focus here on aspects of the war which are more widely (if vaguely) known by the average Ontarian. No mention at all, for example, of the burning of the White House in Washington by a daring band of Canadians. Laura Secord gets one shout out but her contribution to the war effort is not described.
Reference: An Oct 1st story from The Windsor Star: “TVO film brings ‘real’ War of 1812 to life” ( See the full text at http://www.windsorstar.com/entertainment/film+brings+real+1812+life/8971819/story.html )
Taken and Destroyed: The War of 1812 Losses Claims, London and Western Districts Upper Canada
By Glenn Stott and Carol Hall
Published by Global Heritage Press, Milton, 2011
8.5″ X 11″
Image for Hardcover Edition
not available yet
8.5″ X 11″
Book on CD Edition
Taken and Destroyed is a key resource to help researchers identify which individuals made claims for losses due to actions during the War of 1812, where they resided, what items and property those claims were for, if the claim was denied or approved, and for how much currency. This book provides key information about each claim, and guides readers to the exact microfilm which contains the complete details and images of documents for each claim. Accessing the referenced microfilms will provide researchers with related images of any formal letters, diagrams, maps, notes and vouchers that appear on those microfilms.
Another story by W.A. Edwards, local story teller and poet of the 1930s. Written in 1931.
Vivid Story of Real Scrap In The War of 1812 That Did Not Find Its Way Into The History Books.
This is the story of “Battle Hill” an episode of the war of 1812 and sequel to the Battle of Moraviantown, where the gallant Tecumseh laid down his life for the young colony of Canada, and Col Proctor met such ignominious. Why history has failed to chronicle this thrilling and desperate encounter has always been a mystery. Today, few if any, realize the significance of the name, for with the passing of the pioneer, has gone all vivid recollection of the struggle and its gruesome aftermath. Among the sleepy hollows echo the rattle of the farmers wagons. And so may they rest in peace. Read the rest of this entry
Hosted by by ROKS Farms, 2115 Gideon Drive, Delaware, Middlesex Centre, ON
Joint sponsored by ROKS Farms and Sew Creative, Mount Brydges
Painted by the Delaware Lions Club
When the adjacent Longwoods Road was a mere blazed trail through the wilderness, the Thames was the route of choice for travelers. Long a valued route for natives, traffic on the river increased as settlement grew. From the late 1700’s vast amounts of lumber from the Delaware mills was rafted down river in the spring flow. This lumber built Detroit, Sandwich (Windsor), Amherstburg. On their return trips the rafters brought goods for the settlers. Even in winter the frozen surface was busy with sleighs as commerce continued.
The Thames and its tributaries provided power for mills sawing lumber and grinding the locally grown grains to flour. The river teemed with fish, a welcome food source. Fur bearing animals , a source of income for trappers , lived in and along its banks. Prone to flooding ,the river at times caused destruction and heartbreak as mill dams were washed out, crops and fences destroyed.
During the war, the river was used winter and summer to transport fresh military staff and supplies, being on the route from Niagara to the action in the Lake St Clair area. Sick, wounded ,and defeated armies, their native allies, prisoners of war, and terrified civilians, made the journey up river to Delaware . From there they proceeded on land via the newly made Commissioners Road to Niagara.
On a summer’s day as the river quietly flows to Lake St Clair, its tumultuous history seems so far away.
But listen and watch ….hear the songs of the native paddlers , the deafening roar of the spring beakup, the shouts of the raftsmen, the refugee’s whispered conversations, Governor Simcoe and his colorful 1793 party passing by. The river has seen it all.
Written by Frances Kilbourne, February 2012
September 29th launched the Native Women’s Trail of Tears quilt (31 blocks), Longwoods Quilt Honouring the Women of the War of 1812 (30 blocks) , the Longwoods Barn Quilt Trail (30 blocks), the Trail of Tears (15 blocks – to be installed), and the South Caradoc Trail.