Blog Archives

Launch of Longwoods Barn Quilt Trail, Sept 29

You are invited to a launch of the Longwoods Barn Quilt Trail on Saturday, September 29th, 2012.

The event runs from 10 a.m. to 12 noon at the Melbourne Agricultural Hall, 21886 Melbourne Road, Melbourne, Ontario.  The Melbourne Agricultural Society’s butter tarts and sweets are a featured attraction as well as the two special fabric quilts which inspired the barn quilts.

The launch is part of Doors Open Middlesex, a two-day event that focuses on the historic Longwoods Road which passes through Southwest Middlesex,  Strathroy Caradoc, and Middlesex Centre.

The Middlesex Barn Quilt Steering Committee is hosting the launch and will will also promote and highlight barn quilt trails and collections popping up across Ontario, Canada, and the United States.  The Longwoods collection of barn quilts is part of a special project funded by the Sand Plains Community Development fund and many supporting sponsors, museums, and municipalities.

Also featured will be the launch of a history booklet, How the Milling Industry influenced Melbourne Ontario Canada,1793-2012.  Author and compiler, JoAnn Lucas Galbraith; research and relay, Marilyn Gough McCallum; setup and typist, Richard Gordon Hathaway.

We hope that all the planners, quilters, painters, organizers, sponsors, researchers, writers, promoters, and fans of the Longwoods Barn Quilt Trail will attend.  Please help us spread this invitation and encourage your community members to attend.

Details about the project are at the Longwoods Barn Quilt Trail web-site and barnquilts.ca  For more information, call Mary Simpson at 519 318 1074 or mary@creative-communities.ca

Plus:  Please plan to visit the Guthrie Presbyterian Church where several of Sheila Hexter’s quilts will be displayed during the afternoon of Sat. Sept. 29th from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Advertisements

Baby Blocks

Frances Kilbourne narrates the story “Baby Blocks” she wrote for the quilt block installed on the barn owned by Jim and Debbie Atchison, home to Lucky Lodge.  The large brick house owned by Jack and Adeline Quarrier RN  at   7221 Longwoods Road Melbourne   was the Lucky Lodge Maternity Hospital from 1948 to 1957.  During the summer she operated tourist cabins and in the winter, Mrs Quarrier along with  Dr. H.H. Washburn, G.P. from Melbourne, provided maternity care  to over 500 mothers and new babies.

Frances’s story comes from the Moravian Diaries which describe the turmoil caused by Proctor’s Retreat and the Battle of the Thames. The photos feature moments during the community project to design, paint, and install the barn quilts along Longwoods Road.

Awaiting the birth of their babies, mothers-to-be prepared warm coverings.  The settler stitched a quilt.  The native women prepared skins and furs.  Perhaps the expectant mothers knew each other, visited, and shared their secret fears.  This was 1813…
Read the rest of this entry